Wednesday, March 7, 2007

The hope of the world lies in what one demands, not of others, but of oneself. - James Baldwin

This one seemed appropriate since we watched An Inconvenient Truth on the weekend (well, my husband watched it - I watched some while trying to get my baby to sleep). On the packaging there is a list of 10 things you can do to reduce CO2 emissions. I was pleased to discover that we're already doing a lot of them here at our house. When I go back to work I will try to bike to work sometimes, which will also be a little contribution to saving the planet.

I've read that while scientists agree that global warming is real, they don't agree on how serious it is or what to do about it. Some think Al Gore is sounding a panic alarm that doesn't need to be sounded. I figure, that may be true, but by biking to work, using compact fluorescent lightbulbs and turning off the TV and computer, I'm certainly not hurting anything. And even if Gore is wrong about how soon we're going to destroy ourselves, if people listen to what he's suggesting and take action, maybe we can push back the date of our self-destruction even further.

Don't wait for the government to take action or pass laws. Don't demand that large corporations make changes. Put the onus on yourself. That's what I took away from that movie and this quote.

No comments: